Monday, September 29, 2008

Did the Packers Make the Right Decision?

After a recent turn of events, an opportunity for the "Favre Faithful" (which seems to be the majority of Packer fans) to question the decision that Packer management made about the quarterback situation has arisen. The first two weeks, one could not hear a peep from a fan in Green Bay, though the new-look, Rodgers-led Packers were 2-0 at that point. Now, the Packers have lost their last two games falling to 2-2, and Rodgers threw three interceptions this week against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Not to mention, Rodgers sustained a sprained shoulder in the Tampa Bay game as well.
I can't imagine the enormous amount of pressure that Rodgers will now be dealing with because of all those games that #4 started even when he was hurt. There was already enough pressure on him at the beginning of the season to put up good stats and make sure the Packers win the division, but now he will have to do that fighting the pain of a sprained shoulder. Personally, I hope Rodgers is able to "tough it out", and make believers out of all Green Bay fans. I think he deserves more respect than he's gotten in Green Bay because of the way that he handled the Brett Favre situation, and the way he quietly waited his turn for three seasons. We have to face the fact that Favre is not coming back, and that Rodgers is not going to start as many games in a row as Favre did. What we need to focus our attention on is the team as a whole, and whether or not we make the playoffs. It shouldn't matter if Rodgers throws 30 interceptions this year, as long as we make the playoffs. Yes, a good quarterback is essential to making the playoffs, but rodgers is a strong leader and makes good decisions. I think that's really all this talented Packer team needs to make the playoffs, not MVP statistics from any one player. In conclusion, I don't think it's anywhere near time for Green Bay to hit the "panic button". Look for Rodgers to have a strong start against the Atlanta Falcons this week.

1 comment:

EvanBakkestuen said...

I completley agree with you on this. Rodgers was thrust into the limelight and for given all the pressures he is under has been doing a great job and to be fair, some of his bad plays haven't even been atributed to him as our offensive line has been letting him get beaten up badly these last two games unlike the first two. I'm hoping (more like praying) he can play against Atlanta and he can show case to the Falcons why he deserves to be the Green Bay starter and that guy up in New York doesn't have a reason to say "I told you so."