The upcoming presidential election really has people talking. In past elections that I can clearly remember, I had not heard nearly as much debating, and even yelling or arguing among the general public about who is better suited to run this country. Many of the adults that I'm around a lot of the time are undecided on who they will vote for, and most of them say that they don't like either candidate. The arguments that people are making about both candidates are very consistent, though. Some will argue that Obama is too young, and doesn't have the experience needed to be president, while others will argue that someone like Obama is exactly the change that this country needs. As far as John McCain goes, the common argument is that he has sided with George Bush 90% of the time, and we can't afford another four years of George Bush. Obama and Biden have made this point the forefront of their campaign..."we can't afford more of the same."
Despite these arguments, I'm worried that this election is going to turn into somewhat of a prejudiced election. I think it will work both ways too, meaning that some people will not vote for John McCain because he has chosen a running mate who is a woman in Sarah Palin, and some will vote for him because of the sole fact that he has chosen her and they want to see a woman in the White House. I think it will work the same way for Obama. There will be many people who are going to be hesitant to vote for him because of the fact that he's black. This is quite sad, but true...I've heard the conversations myself. Also, I think there are a lot of people out there who want to see the first black president of the United States. My point here is we shouldn't be basing our votes off of these things, we should be taking into consideration what each candidate has to say about the issues that are most important to us. If you're going to vote, make sure you visit each candidate's website first, and decide who has a better plan. I think we will all feel better about who we're voting for if we know a little bit about what we're voting for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree that we've hear a lot more about the elections this year. I also think that I notice it more now because last election I couldn't vote. I am also getting sick of hearing the campaigns and wish we could get the voting over with!
Post a Comment